Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Macaroni Salad

My mom has been making this macaroni salad for as long as I can remember.  It's such a simple salad and everyone likes it.  I made it for dinner tonight to go with my BBQ pulled beef sandwiches.  The best part of this salad...there are always left overs for the next couple of days.

You want to start out by boiling about 2 cups of elbow noodles. 


While the noodles are cooked and cooling, you'll want to get a few things together.  Besides these ingredients, I also add about a 1/2 cup of chopped ham and about a tsp or so of sugar.  On this board you'll find medium cheddar cheese chopped into little bits, about 2 Tbs of thousand island dressing, miracle whip, sweet baby peas, 1 Tbs of mustard, and sweet relish (you can use sweet pickles if you have those).



I think this recipe is the only thing I buy canned peas for.  I happen to think they are gross.  They have the worst texture and look to them once they are squished.  I know we ate a lot of canned peas growing up and I know that I ate them.  In the whole 12 years I have been out of my parent's house, I don't think I have ever purchased a can of peas to just eat with dinner.  Dane doesn't like peas and neither do my boys.  I gaged when I fed them the smelly green peas from the baby food jars when they were babies.  SO, now that we have that "pea" conversation out of the way, let's move on.  Add your miracle whip.  I put in about 1 1/2 cups.  If you want it creamier, add more.  Whatever you like!


Next you'll add the mustard and thousand island dressing.  Mix it all in well and then add the pickles, cheese, ham, and sweet peas.  Back to the peas....I only use half the can.  I think half the can is more than enough but if you are one to love those little green squishy dots, add the rest in!  Last but not least, about a tsp of sugar. 


Doesn't that look yummy?  I bet the majority of your family will enjoy this macaroni salad...even if half of you don't care for peas!  With the rest of the ingredients all mixed in, you can hardly taste them.  I paired this yummy salad with the BBQ sandwiches and we had dinner served and eaten by 6pm.  Simple dinner for a family and the prep work and cooking doesn't consume your entire night. 

Here you go!  Dinner for you....no wait, that dinner was for me.  I plated it onto a pretty blue plate...my favorite.

Nite!





Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

view sourceprint?01 10