Sunday, April 1, 2012

Lemon Cake

Can you believe I didn't make anything really crazy different this weekend?  I went out to dinner with my friend Lindsey on Friday night, then attended a baby shower on Saturday.  I didn't have to cook until today besides baking cupcakes for a couple of co-workers.  Today I grilled both lunch and dinner.  When I woke up this morning I was really thinking it was going to be cloudy and cold again today.  What a nice day it turned out to be.  I also got my perennial beds cleaned out.  My plants are growing like crazy and I love it.

I wanted to share a recipe that I found online from a blog I check frequently, www.picky-palate.com.  A while back she made a copycat lemon cake that you would find at Caribou or Starbucks.  I love their lemon cake!  They put poppy seeds in theirs though, this recipe doesn't call for them.  Now that I think of it, I don't think I have had the lemon cake from Starbucks, only Caribou.  Do Starbucks put the poppy seeds in their bread too?

Lemon Cake

1 box yellow cake mix
4.3 oz instant or cook and serve lemon pudding mix
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
8 oz sour cream
6 Tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice

Icing

2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3-4 Tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
(I did about 2 tsp of lemon juice and 1 tsp vanilla)

Place all cake ingredients into a mixer, beating until well combined.  Divide cake batter between two greased loaf pans.  Bake for 45-55 minutes.  Remove and let cool for 15 minutes before removing loaves from pans.

When the loaves are completely cool, mix up the icing until you have a good drizzling consistency.  Drizzle over cakes and let set for 20 minutes for a firm icing.


Doesn't that look yummy?  Someone else was eyeing up these yummy looking loaves too!


Both loaves were gone by Sunday night after making them on Saturday afternoon.  No, they were not just eaten by my boys and myself.  I shared with a few family members and had great reviews from everyone.  The bread was so moist and just melt in your mouth good.  I didn't have everything for this recipe in my pantry.  I did have to go buy a yellow cake mix, lemons and lemon pudding.  It's worth the trip for a few ingredients though.  You will not be disappointed.

Nite!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

view sourceprint?01 10