Friday, January 20, 2012

Chicken Pasta with heavy cream

Happy Friday!  It's my favorite evening of the week.  5pm on a Friday night makes me smile every week of the year, even today with getting more snow and the temperature not being above 10 degrees- it's still a great night.  Tonight Dane and I went on a date to our favorite restaurant, Michael's.  The average age in this restaurant is close to 70.  We are by far the youngest couple every time we go, still we don't care...it's our favorite.  We have had many date nights at this place, even our rehearsal dinner for our wedding.  It's a special place to us and the crab legs are amazing.  Dane always gets steak, I always get the crab legs.  I am so full!

I have to share the pasta dish I made last night for dinner.  I have been cooking for more than 12 years (that's how long I've been out of my parent's house) and have never made any dish using heavy cream.  I don't know why, I haven't tried to stay away from it.  I guess it's just because any pasta dish I have ever made has never called for it.  This chicken pasta dish called for it, and the dish I made a few weeks ago and shared with you also called for it.  NOW I know why Olive Garden and all other places that serve rich, creamy, outstanding tasting dishes get it...it's the heavy cream!!  Oh my gosh people, it's not like you eat like this every day.  Every once and a while is going to be just fine for you.  Just skip the morning doughnut or the drive thru fast food during the day, you won't feel as guilty.  So I've go to share...and I apologize, I can't remember where I found it.  When I printed it off and slipped it into my bag, I never thought the resource would be left out on top...it was...  It's ok though, I didn't follow it completely.  Hardly ever will I follow a recipe right down to the specific tsp.  I taste my food as I cook it.  I make it to satisfy my taste buds.  Ok, ok...enough talking...time for pictures!


The Cream Sauce

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into bite size pieces)
2 Tbs butter
1 green onion, diced
2 cups heavy whipping cream
3 Tbs sun-dried tomatoes, from the jar smothered in oil :)
salt
basil
cajun seasoning
black pepper
garlic powder

Start by cooking the chicken breast pieces in the melted butter in a nice size saute pan on the stove.  Once the chicken is fully cooked, add the rest of the ingredients.  You will want to simmer this until it starts to thicken some.  I added about a Tbs of flour to my cream sauce to thicken it even more.  I don't like soupy sauce on my pasta.  The reason I didn't give specific amounts to add for the seasoning is because like always, I never measure.  You have to taste your food and add these things to your liking.  This recipe called for 2 tsp of cajun seasoning.  I know I put more than a Tbs of that seasoning in my sauce.  Even Cody didn't think it was spicy and he is very much against anything spicy.  
This recipe also called for linguini noodles.  I had angel hair pasta so I used that.  I used almost half of a 16 oz box of angel hair pasta.  Cook that according to the directions.  
You'll toss this all together and throw in about a 1/4 of a cup of fresh parmesan cheese.  

Dane's parents gave me a pasta dish for Christmas this year and I've been dying to use it.  It's fiesta and it's the lemon grass color.  I love it, looks so pretty in my hutch with the rest of my dishes.  Want to see it? 


Isn't that pretty?  It's really big and was more than big enough for all the pasta.  Ok, ok...are you ready to see the finished pasta?  Do you have your plate and fork ready?  Wait, is your mouth watering?  Ha, ok here it is...


I know..it was amazing!  I swear that heavy cream makes all the difference.  You don't have to feel guilty when it's just a few times a year...no big deal! 
Now this recipes says it's a serving for 2.  This serving was enough for my family of 4 plus probably 3 more people.  This made a really big serving.  So if you're thinking you want to make it for 2 people, cut this recipe in half for sure.  Unless you want a lot of left overs...it's up to you!

Brady's getting his hair cut tomorrow...I know Grandma, I heard you say "yes!"  He's long over due and is starting to look like the shaggy dog.  He's a little nervous of course because his hair is his very favorite thing in the world.  The salon girls always cut it way too short for him and it takes me months afterwards to talk him into another one.  So before he goes for her archery class, he'll get some cut and be able to see a little better. 

Nite everyone, I hope you have a fabulous weekend!  Cody is ready for battle..











Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

view sourceprint?01 10