Sunday, November 6, 2011

Oatmeal Cream Pies

I did a fun cookie this weekend.  You know those oatmeal pies you can buy in the grocery store that has that yummy white frosting-taste filling in the middle?  I made some...and they were awesome!  I was low on groceries and didn't have everything I needed to make them.  I needed regular flour and all I had was self-rising flour.  I figured it wouldn't make that much of a difference if I switched flours.  I just left out the salt and baking soda the recipe called for and went on my way.


Here they are, all mixed up heading into the oven.  I'll post the recipe at the end to keep your mouth watering through my pictures. 


They came out a little flat but if I was going to add a filling and another cookie, I thought they would turn out great.  Cooling off completely....you don't want that filling to melt out of the middle!


I spread about a Tbs of filling onto the cookie.  You don't want too much.  You want to still be able to taste the cookie when you bite into it.


How's that for a sweet treat?  The oatmeal cookie stayed so soft and chewy just like the ones you buy in the store.  The filling was sweet but not too much making it just perfect!  I packaged up a few and took them to my parent's for them to enjoy...I wonder if there are any left over there??


Oatmeal Cream Pies (my way)

1 1/4 cup softened butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 1/4 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats

Mix the wet ingredients with the sugars until well combined.  Add in the dry ingredients.  Bake at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes depending on your oven.  You do not want to over-bake these.  Take them out once the edges are slightly brown and the middle looks set.  Cool on a wire rack completely before spreading the filling.

Filling

1/4 cup softened butter
4 oz softened cream cheese
2 cups powdered sugar
2 1/2 Tbs milk
1 tsp vanilla

Mix well until you've got a smooth filling.  Add the milk slowly, you don't want it too runny.  You want the consistency to be like regular frosting you'd use to frost a cake.
*I had left over filling...if you've got extra cookies around the house that seem lonely, add a little to one and sneak it before bed.  It's too good to waste!

Church was good this morning.  We haven't been there in a while and it was good for the four of us to get back there.  The music is always so pretty to listen to.  I just feel better for the entire day after going to church on a Sunday morning.  Cody picked out his own outfit today.  He came out of his room and asked, "Mom, where's my suit?"  I had to turn around so he couldn't see my big grin on my face and then showed him where his dress shirt was.  Here he is, even those black shiny shoes!  Good thing I snapped the picture when I did because before we left the house, he was already in his play shoes, and then by the time chuch was over, his tie and dress shirt were off.  He walked out of church in an un-ironed white t-shirt carrying his nice clothes to the car.  That's my boy!

Nite!

  

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

view sourceprint?01 10