Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A Valentine's craft

Valentine's Day is tomorrow.  We're going to have to celebrate our love day on Friday night.  With work, school, and a tutor session tomorrow night, there just won't be enough time.  While Cody is at his tutor session, I will run to the store with my small list for our special dinner Friday night.  Because it is the start of lent, we won't be able to eat meat so I am probably going with a shrimp pasta dish and a yummy little dessert.

This is the holiday that I have the least amount of decorations for.  I don't know why, maybe it's because this time of year is my least favorite.  I am tired of the cold and wet and all the bundling up that still needs to be done.  I have the spring fever so badly I can hardly stand it.  But, to celebrate this sweet little love day, I made a craft to hang in our dining room.

I started with a heart.  I cut the heart from my cricut machine to the size I wanted.


Next I took some burlap and cut it into pennants.  My plan was to make a banner.  I also had some interfacing I picked up from the fabric store.  Interfacing is a white backing that you iron on your fabric to make it stiff.  One side is soft and the other is kind of scratchy.  The scratchy side goes against the back of your fabric.  I used a kitchen cloth to cover it so I didn't iron directly on the burlap.


See how I painted the little heart onto the fabric?  Cute right?  I tried to get a good picture of the interfacing but it's hard.  If you go into the fabric store, just ask for it.  It's very inexpensive.  This works great for any fabric banner you would want to make.  I made one for my sister-in-law's baby shower this last fall.

Next I took some brown chalk that I use for making cards and rubbed it on the edges for a little more character.


See how that softens the edges a little bit?  You can get it in all sorts of colors.  This is the one I used.


Because I wanted to hang my cute project, I needed some string and a way to attach my pennants to the string.  I had some thick cream colored yarn so I used that and then some adorable little clothes pins.


I decided on 4 pennants.


How do you get that glare out of your pictures?  Does anyone know?  If you can help me, please send me a comment!


Isn't it cute?  It was so easy to make and just adds a little bit of love to our dining room now.

Have a lovey dovey day tomorrow!  I hope you have a sweetie to smooch.  I have 3!

Nite! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

view sourceprint?01 10